Join SCO – Singapore’s only national Chinese orchestra
We aspire to be a world renowned Chinese orchestra with a uniquely Singaporean character. Committed to inspiring Singapore and the World with our music, we regularly create superb concerts and events that captivate our audience and make an impact in the community. We would like to invite you to be part of the Singapore Chinese Orchestra (SCO) family and join us as an ORCHESTRA LIBRARIAN.
This full-time position oversees SCO’s music library operations, including purchase, rental, distribution, and preparation of scores and parts to musicians for all rehearsals and concerts. S/he works closely with Music Director, conductors, principals and other artistic staff members as needed to ensure that correct editions of score are acquired, and that all bowings, edits and cuts are managed accurately in a timely manner. The orchestra librarian maintains library of music holdings, records repertoire performance data, and assesses long-range acquisition needs.
- Oversees all aspects of music preparation for all services of SCO and Singapore National Youth Chinese Orchestra (SNYCO)
- Reviews and proofread all music parts before distribution to determine if they meet acceptable standards of legibility, readability, and have adequate rehearsal letters and numbers
- Ensure that there are enough parts and that they are the right parts for a particular programme. Provides parts sufficiently in advance to concertmaster and other string principals for bowing, and coordinate score arrangement for percussionists with percussion principal
- Prepare scores for conductor and musicians, and ensure proper archival of scores at the end of every concert
- Catalogues, maintains accurate inventory of the orchestra’s collection of scores and parts in an orderly and organized manner; and ensures adequate security
- Curate the maintenance of on-site and off-site orchestral repertoire collection, including tracking performance history and updating inventory as needed (noting editions and bowings in stock).
- Prepare the annual orchestra library budget, under the supervision of the Manager (Artistic Administration).
- Reports to all appropriate performance licensing organisations all music performed on all concerts
- Arranges for the purchase or rental of scores with composers to meet the music needs of the orchestra for performances/events
- Liaise with score copiers for scores and parts delivery
- Handle score rental requests from external organisations
- Perform all administrative duties such as filing, procurement, and issuing of contracts
- Bachelor’s degree required, with emphasis in music, or equivalent combination of education and professional experience.
- Bilingual in English and Mandarin for handling Chinese documents & Chinese speaking musicians
- Knowledge of orchestral music, music research skills, ability to read, understand, and transpose a full orchestra score. Experience as an orchestra librarian and/or orchestra musician preferred.
- Ability to copy orchestra parts cleanly and legibly using manuscript paper and/or music notation software.
- Independent individual who is self-motivated, has excellent inter-personal skills and strong organizational abilities, while maintaining the ability to successfully work in a team environment
- Excellent computer skills including proficiency in Microsoft Office, music notation software (such as Sibelius, Finale)
- Openness to using technology to improve efficiency and innovation
- Able to work flexible hours, including nights and weekend hours during rehearsals and performances.
Interested candidates are invited to send in their resume with information on current and expected salaries and contact details by 10 September 2017 to:
Human Resource Department
Singapore Chinese Orchestra Company Limited
7 Shenton Way, Singapore Conference Hall
Email : email@example.com
(Only shortlisted candidates will be notified)