Singapore Chinese Orchestra Composer Workshop 2020
The Singapore Chinese Orchestra (SCO) Composer Workshop aims to provide a stimulating environment for aspiring young composers to discover and develop their fullest potential. Under the guidance of SCO Music Director and Composer-in-Residence, the workshop offers an exposure to a range of compositional approaches for Chinese instruments, and provides an intensive practicum with the world class orchestra.
SCO Composer Workshop 2020 theme will be movie music composition. We encourage all aspiring young composers to participate.
Special thanks to Singapore Federation of Chinese Clan Associations, Singapore Chinese Cultural Centre and Lianhe Zaobao for the provision of winning films from “My Singapore Future” Micro Film Competition for SCO’s Composer Workshop 2020.
|15 July 2019||: Closing of Submission of Registration Form|
|27 July 2019, 1.30pm - 2.30pm||: Briefing & Sharing Session conducted by SCO Composer-in-residence Mr Law Wai Lun|
|22 August 2019, 7.30pm – 9pm||: Hollywood Film Scoring conducted by Dr Norman Ludwin|
|10 January 2020||: Closing of Submission of Full Scores & MIDI #|
|31 January 2020||: Announce the Selected Applicants|
|10 February 2020||: Closing of Submission of Full Scores & Orchestral Part Scores by Selected Applicants *|
|13 March 2020, 7.30pm – 9.30pm||: Seminar conducted by Mr Law Wai Lun & Lincoln Lo|
|14 March 2020, 1pm - 5pm ; 6.30pm – 9.30pm||: Reading Session ; Sharing & Discussion|
- Age is 35 years and below
- Singaporean or non-Singaporean students residing in Singapore
- Must commit to attend all events related to Singapore Chinese Orchestra Composer Workshop
- The form of compositions must be full orchestra or mid-size orchestra. Other combinations, solo, small-scaled ensemble and concerto are not in the scope of this reading session.
- All compositions must adhere to the score format, instrument list and range of SCO. While participants need not use all instruments of the Orchestra, they cannot add new instruments or number of musicians beyond the instrumentation list. Please refer to SCO Composer Score Format, Instrument List and Range for reference.
- Percussion section must be listed according to musicians 1 to 7 and with clear indications of the percussion instruments played by each musician on the score.
- Given the constraints on instrumental range, composers are strongly encouraged to specify the Dizi to be used if changing of instrument is required.
- Duration of composition is in tandem with the movie, and it is between 3 to 5 minutes.
- Each composition is only allocated 20 minutes of reading time and hence do consider the performance techniques and music effect under time constraint.
- Music scores submission must be in the form of 2 printed copies of the full score (A3 size) with clearly indicated instrumentation and performance direction. The cover page must clearly reflect Title, Duration, and Composer’s name. Subsequent page should reflect synopsis, instrumentation, and any special performance requirement which is noted in symbol. Due to composition is in tandem with movie, the music scores must clearly reflect the accurate speed and movie time code (00:00:00:00), approximately every 5 bars interval.
- # By 10 January 2020, applicant must mail the full scores and MIDI to “SCO Composer Workshop 2020, Singapore Chinese Orchestra Co Ltd, 7 Shenton Way, Singapore Conference Hall, Singapore 068810”.
- By 10 February 2020, selected applicant must submit the full score and orchestral part scores in Finale 2012 or Sibelius 5, and PDF via email to CW2020@sco.com.sg.
- Unselected compositions music scores will not be returned to applicants.
Contact person: Ms Lum Mun Ee
Telephone: 6557 4035
Address: Singapore Chinese Orchestra, 7 Shenton Way, Singapore Conference Hall, Singapore 068810